- Founded in 1982 by a group of local citizens and educators committed to supporting public education in the Cedar Rapids community.
- Governed by a 15-member volunteer board of directors.
- Operates as a separate organization from the Cedar Rapids Community School District.
- Foundation Status Classification 509 (a) (1) and nonprofit status 501(c) (3) were awarded to the foundation from the IRS in June 1983.
- Operations and programs of the foundation are funded through contributions from businesses, individuals, special events and grants.
- The foundation does not receive funds or financial contributions from state or federal sources.
The mission of the foundation is to provide financial support to and promote excellence in the Cedar Rapids Public Schools. Through the funding of projects and programs the foundation works to enhance the educational experience of students in the public schools.
To be recognized as the key educational charitable-giving organization of the Cedar Rapids Community School District, and to provide broad and equitable educational opportunities to students and staff of the Cedar Rapids public schools.
To improve the learning environment by providing scholarships, learning materials, improved facilities, and enrichment opportunities to students and professional development grants to district staff.
Letter from Dr. Buck
As the second largest school district in Iowa, the Cedar Rapids Community School District proudly serves more than 17,000 pre-kindergarten through 12th grade students in 24 elementary schools, 6 middle schools, 4 high schools, and
various alternative schools. The District’s educational program is aligned with a vision of “Excellence for All” and is keenly focused on a guiding philosophy of continuous improvement. The Foundation plays a vital role in the District — underscoring the many good things happening in our schools and helping to fund enrichment programs and learning projects that impact thousands of students each year.
I join with the Board of Education and more than 2,500 staff members in thanking the Foundation for its continuing commitment to building financial support that promotes and recognizes excellence in our schools.
Dr. Brad Buck