- Founded in 1982 by a group of local citizens and educators committed to supporting public education in the Cedar Rapids community.
- Governed by a 15-member volunteer board of directors.
- Operates as a separate organization from the Cedar Rapids Community School District.
- Foundation Status Classification 509 (a) (1) and nonprofit status 501(c) (3) were awarded to the foundation from the IRS in 1984.
- Operations and programs of the foundation are funded through contributions from businesses, individuals, special events and grants.
- The foundation does not receive funds from state or federal sources, nor is it a United Way partner agency.
- Click here to view a video about the Foundation’s first 35 years of impact.
The mission of the foundation is to provide financial support to and promote excellence in the Cedar Rapids Public Schools. Through the funding of projects and programs the foundation works to enhance the educational experience of students in the public schools.
To be recognized as the key educational charitable-giving organization of the Cedar Rapids Community School District, and to provide broad and equitable educational opportunities to students and staff of the Cedar Rapids public schools.
To improve the learning environment by providing scholarships, learning materials, improved facilities, and enrichment opportunities to students and professional development grants to district staff.
Letter from Superintendent Dr. Tawana Grover
Dear Friends of CRCSD,
The Cedar Rapids Community School District is always grateful for the stewardship and support from the Cedar Rapids Community Schools Foundation. The tenants of the foundation align significantly with the district strategic plan as we look to mobilize the community, stabilize the district, energize the staff, and elevate “Every Learner. Future Ready.” The work of the foundation board, community members, and donors is key to our blueprint for the future. We are humbled as we build CRCSD together.
In deep gratitude,
Dr. Tawana Grover